Monday, February 18, 2008

Happy Presidents Day to Me!

Well, hey — my name is Lincoln Madison, so I've always felt a certain personal affinity for this particular holiday, ever since Madison Avenue invented it. True, this holiday generally commemorates Lincoln and Washington, and it's downright antipodal to my birthday, but I can still call it my own.

I've always taken a keen interest in Presidential politics. I watched hour after hour, day after day, as the Watergate hearings crept forward in Congress, even though I was only 11. Two years later, I watched large chunks of both the Democratic and Republican conventions. I was 17 when Reagan was elected, but I watched my older brother campaign for John Anderson, a Republican-turned-independent who broke from the "Conservative Movement" domination of the GOP. When Bill Clinton was elected, I was living abroad, but I stayed up into the wee hours of the morning, watching the returns roll in until a winner could be declared. I was utterly dismayed that the American electorate failed to repudiate George W. Bush in 2004, having had a pretty convincing preview of how badly he could fuck up if given another four years. I shall not stand idly by while my country surrenders yet farther to neo-conservative totalitarianism.

I believe wholeheartedly, more fervently than ever before, that our nation's freedom depends upon electing a Democrat in November. I would prefer that it be Barack Obama, but I will support any Democrat against any Republican.

Technorati tags: