Friday, August 03, 2007

Cruel irony

I woke up at 6:30 this morning. Those of you who know me, which is most of you, know that I almost never get up that early. However, I had a special reason today: the morning keynote at the YearlyKos Convention by General Wesley Clark. I got up, ate a couple of granola bars for breakfast, showered and shaved, and made my way down to the corner at about 7:20, just in time to catch the bus to the convention center. I got about a third of the way there and started looking for my badge, but it wasn't in my tote bag where I thought I had put it. Oh, no! I must have left it in the hotel room! I got off the bus, looked in the tote bag again, confirming that the badge wasn't there, and caught a bus back towards my hotel. But no, the badge wasn't anywhere to be seen in the hotel room, and I knew I had seen it last night before bed. Since the maid hadn't yet been in, there was only one other possibility: I had the badge with me the whole time, in the front pocket of my backpack. I dashed down to the corner again and caught another bus, but arrived more than half an hour late for a one-hour keynote. Harrumph.

The moral of the story: don't ever try to get up before the crack of noon.