Friday, January 13, 2006

Prattlestar Galaxative comes of age

As a boy, I watched the TV series Battlestar Galactica, setting aside the obvious problems with the plot, the dialog, some of the characters, and the cheesy special effects. When I heard that the Sci-Fi Channel was resurrecting Galactica, I held out little hope that it would be worth the effort. After all, I didn't even bother to see the re-make of Lost in Space, even as a DVD rental. There was nothing in the original Lost in Space worth salvaging. However, I have been nothing short of astonished with what the Sci-Fi Channel has managed to pull off. Gone are the sugar-coated dumbed-down worldview and the little boy with the robot dog, replaced with three-dimensional good guys and three-dimensional bad guys, serious plot development, and grown-up dialog. The highest compliment I can pay the new Galactica is that it is everything I ever imagined the original could be, and more.