Sunday, August 28, 2005

Bush's Neighbors

I'm at Camp Casey II, situated on the corner of Prairie Chapel Road and Canaan Church Road, about 10 miles out of the town of Crawford, Texas. President Bush's Prairie Chapel Ranch is less than two miles to the east, complete with reinforced concrete bunkers in case of nuclear attack. But if you go about two miles south, you will find the town of Coryell City. Bush's ranch is much closer to Coryell City, so why does he say he's going to Crawford?

Well, you see, the folks in Coryell City aren't nearly as enamored of Dubya as the folks in Crawford — and don't forget that the local paper, the Crawford Iconoclast, endorsed John Kerry in 2004. It seems that even in the red heart of one of the reddest of red states, the message is starting to sink in that Bush is doing a tragically bad job as President.

There are a few other sights worth mentioning in the area, though. Just up the road a bit there's a Sikh temple, and I'm disappointed to say I missed their monthly fish fry on Friday night. There's also a road sign for "No. 10 Downing Street"; I knew that Bush and Blair were close, but I didn't think they were that close (about 20 km, I think).
No. 10 Downing streetsignOf course, Fort Hood is also right over yonder, giving Dubya handy access to a military base and plenty of armed guards to back up the Secret Service, the McLennan County Sheriff, and the Texas Department of Public Safety. I'm told that Fort Hood is the largest military base in the United States. Yet again, Dubya wants people to think of him as a military figure by juxtaposition.

However, shortly I shall cease to be in Dubya's neighborhood, at least until the last weekend of September. Yup, Camp Casey is relocating northeastwards, headin' up to the real White House. I sure hope there are some tent sites on Pennsylvania Avenue, 'cause they're expecting a couple dozen people to show up. (I'm sure Fox News will still give "balanced" coverage to the two draft dodgers and an inflatable date who show up to support the Chickenhawk President.) I don't know for sure that I'll be there, but I'm going to see what I can do....

Signing off from Camp Casey II, we return you to your regular blogging, at least until I take the show on the road to Burning Man.

Hasta luego, y'all!