Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Is bisexuality real?

The New York Times, which usually tries to offer journalistic integrity to the world, slipped up the other day. On July 5th, they published an article about a study that suggests that there is no such thing as "true" bisexuality, at least among men. The fact that the researcher has conducted eugenics research apparently wasn't deemed relevant.

I once identified as bisexual, but for me it was merely a stepping stone on the path to coming all the way out as gay. I know a number of other people for whom the same is true. However, I also know a number of people for whom the same is not true. Indeed, I know several people who came out as gay or lesbian, lived openly as gay or lesbian for decades, but finally found they could no longer deny that they also feel attraction to some members of the "opposite" sex. (Never mind my friends who don't subscribe to the silly, limited notion that there are only two sexes or genders.)

No matter how hard you try to pigeonhole people, one inescapable fact remains: People are not pigeons.

Thanks to FAIR for the heads-up to the action alert on the GLAAD web site.